Re: Whats happened to my psuedo ttys

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 07:12 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Monday 16 April 2007 22:29, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > I've just upgraded my Debian Sid system, and now when I try and start
> > konsole (in KDE) it fails saying it is unable to open a PTY.
> >
> > Is this a udev problem or something else?
>
> I presume by the deafening silence that this isn't a problem that is
> hitting everyone else out there.
>
> Can someone at least tell me which init script is supposed to set up the
> psuedo ttys so I can try and figure out why it isn't happening.

It isn't an init script. udev dynamically creates these.

As I open new consoles in XFce, I find that with one terminal open, I
get one device in /dev/pts/. If I open 2, I have two devices
in /dev/pts/.

If I open 30 terminals, I get 30 devices. I just tried it.

I actually looked for evidence that it is a udev problem or a konsole
problem. I installed konsole, had zero problems, I got nothing for you
on this one. I used gnome-terminal, same thing. xterm, same thing.

konsole v3.5.5a.dfsg.1-6
xterm v225-1
gnome-terminal v2.18.0-1
udev v0.105-4
hal v0.5.8.1-9
linux-image linux-image-2.6.20-1-k7 v2.6.20-2~snapshot.8442

In /etc/udev/permissions.rules I have this:

        KERNEL=="pty*", MODE="0666", GROUP="tty"

In /etc/udev/run.rules

        KERNEL=="pty*", OPTIONS+="last_rule"

I'd have to think that would be all that is needed.

One thing you could try is to use another terminal program like xterm to
launch konsole or even gnome-terminal. If you can't open either of
those, you have a bigger problem than just konsole.

Two last questions, is udev working(running?) and what kernel are you
using?
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup