Re: Whats happened to my psuedo ttys

Alan Chandler wrote:
> Joe Hart writes:
>> Alan Chandler wrote:
>>>
>>> I presume by the deafening silence that this isn't a problem that is
>>> hitting everyone else out there.
>>> Can someone at least tell me which init script is supposed to set up
>>> the psuedo ttys so I can try and figure out why it isn't happening.
>>
>> I would bet that your video driver is causing this.  Did you recently
>> install ati's fglrx?
>
> No I am using the intel i810 driver - but have been for some time
>> The ttys, are started in the init script
>
> Which one?  I am not actually sure which /dev devices they are.  Another
> machine of mine has /dev/ptyx (where x is 0-f) but the effected machine
> has none of these.  Are these the ptys that would be used?

 the file /etc/inittab is where they are generated.

> There is also /dev/ttyx (where x is 0-63)
>> and
>> should be available from boot.  But sometimes X will trap the keyboard
>> so you can't get to them.
>> I would start by not booting into X and see if it works, then you can
>> better isolate what is causing your problem.  I am still betting it is
>> fglrx.
>
> I am not sure how I can get it to work without X as Konsole, is
> dependant on X.  I can Ctl-Alt Fn to get to different consoles with X
> running - but there is also a bug in the i810 driver that if I go to a
> text console and then try and go back to the graphics screen the whole
> machine locks solid.

It still sounds to me like your video driver and X that is causing your
problem.  I don't think it is the ttys.  I don't have access to an 810,
so I can't test anything, perhaps someone else can shed some light on
this for you.

> I am pretty sure the X problem isn't the issue - as I implied above, I
> don't have the /dev devices - and I have only found that out by not
> having x running.

hmm, getting beyond my scope here.  I'm afraid I am still a noob.

Joe
- --