Re: Netgear WPN311 Wireless G problems

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 19:41:22 -0400, Grok Mogger wrote:
 Florian Kulzer wrote:

[ short summary: The card is recognized as ath0 with wireless extensions,
  but it does not associate with any access point, lists "Signal level:
  0/94". This is on Ubuntu Edgy. ]

[...]

When I try to scan, I always get no results. The irritating thing is that at one time I just magically started getting results. I picked up all three nearby wireless networks in my area. I still could not connect to anything, and one of the three is even wide open, completely unencrypted. In the course of messing with things in an attempt to connect to something, I am back to where I started. If I do a "sudo iwlist ath0 scan" or a "sudo wlanconfig ath0 list scan", I get nothing. (I'm typing the output by hand obviously, but this is exactly what it says)

 $ sudo iwlist ath0 scan
 ath0	No scan results

This might just mean that the access points in your area have too weak a
signal to work. Do you remember what signal level was listed when you
did see the access points? Weak signals from far-away access points
would result in exactly the behavior that you describe: Access points
drifting in and out, no association possible even if your wireless card
works correctly. If we are talking about a laptop it might help to walk
around in your apartment a bit or to just take it to an internet café.
It will be very difficult to track down the issue if you are not certain
that you have a strong and reliable access point nearby. Ideally this
should be your own access point, of course...

 $ sudo wlanconfig ath0 list scan
 $ [Nothing appears here, just a prompt]

I don't know this command, so I cannot comment on that.

If I do a "sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "GrokMogger" ", then I see no output, but then a "sudo iwconfig" shows me that my ESSID on ath0 is indeed now "GrokMogger".

100% the expected behavior.

I just did a "dmesg | egrep 'ath0|madwifi' " and the output was just one line.
 "[   83.523316] ath0: no IPv6 routers present"

No error messages at least. I would have expected to see a few more
lines, but maybe this is normal for madwifi-driven cards.

I'm still reading like a fiend and trying things on my own, but this is my third day working on this and I still have not made any progress. (That I didn't somehow ruin later) So I really appreciate the help. =) This is obviously way over my head.

It may also be over my head since I have no specific knowledge of your
type of card or the wifi-related peculiarities of Ubuntu. At the moment
it looks to me like your card might very well be working as it should.
You need to find a reliable access point at close range to determine if
the scanning works.

Hey,

Thanks for all your help. I'm still trying to get the card working. If I ever manage to get it working, I will at least just post to this thread again to say so. I've seen enough on the Internet to be fairly certain that the Netgear WPN311 should work with the MadWifi drivers, if I can just figure out what to do.

Thank you for your commentary on my results. You clearly know more about this than I do, so it's been a big help to have you confirm what's working and what's not. I was not even sure what the expected behavior should have been for the commands I was entering.

As far as the scanning is concerned, I'm fairly certain the coming and going is due to changes I make. There are three wireless networks in the area, my own and two others, that have enough signal strength that I can consistently pick them up on my Windows machines. When the scanning is working on my Ubuntu system, it's consistent as well. In network-manager-gnome, it's extremely weak (a known issue with madwifi cards and the gnome network manager apparently; I *think* it just falsely reports the signal as weaker than it actually is), but the networks do consistently show up. I didn't think to check the results of iwlist or 'wlanconfig list scan' last time it was working.

Anyway, nothing more to report really. So I'm just going to keep plugging away at this and like I said, if I ever manage to get it working, I'll post again. Just in case someone with similar problems stumbles across this thread in the future.

Thanks again,
- GM