Re: Netgear WPN311 Wireless G problems

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 11:37:03 -0400, Grok Mogger wrote:

[...]

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the advice! I ended up getting a Netgear WPN311 Wireless G PCI card. Now I'm just trying to get the darn thing working. Right now, I'm actually using the desktop install of Ubuntu 6.10, Edgy Eft. I've followed the advice here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/enable-wpa-wireless-access-point-in-ubuntu.html

to the letter. No dice. I don't see the small graphic of blue bars that the author has pictured. What I find really strange is that my card just doesn't seem to be finding any wireless networks at all. I click the icon that looks like two little black monitors, and I have a "Wired Network" option, but then under the "Wireless Networks" there is just nothing. Like my card isn't picking up anything. (I know there are a few wireless networks in my area that it should see)

In Device Manager the card is identified as a "AR5212 802.11abg NIC" and it has two entries underneath it, a "WLAN Interface" and an "Unknown Device".

I figure whatever I've messed up, I've done such a fantastic job of it that I'll just have to figure out for myself, but does anything jump out at anyone right away?

Step 1 is: Run "iwconfig" as root and post the output here.

Further steps depend on the outcome of step 1.

Here's the output of "sudo iwconfig".

lo        no wireless extensions.

wifi0     no wireless extensions.

ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""
          Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:18 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/94 Signal level=-95 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm

eth0      no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

Thanks in advance for the help!
- GM