Re: Wireless G WPA2 PCI Card Suggestion Please

charles norwood wrote:
On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 02:11 -0400, Celejar wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 17:10:05 -0400
Grok Mogger <linuximp@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

	I'd like to get a Wireless PCI Card for my Linux system.
I'd like it to support WPA2 and also be Wireless G. I am currently using Debian, but this is a new system, so I'm perfectly willing to switch to another distribution if necessary. I'm willing to try new things if it'll make it easy to get a working wireless card. =)

	Can anyone suggest a card to get?  Thanks!
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

I'm an Atheros fan; Madwifi is great code, and in the spirit of
free software, although not actually completely free.

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg
A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator

D-Link DWL-G510 with madwifi "new technology" driver works well here.
Chuck

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the advice! I ended up getting a Netgear WPN311 Wireless G PCI card. Now I'm just trying to get the darn thing working. Right now, I'm actually using the desktop install of Ubuntu 6.10, Edgy Eft. I've followed the advice here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/enable-wpa-wireless-access-point-in-ubuntu.html

to the letter. No dice. I don't see the small graphic of blue bars that the author has pictured. What I find really strange is that my card just doesn't seem to be finding any wireless networks at all. I click the icon that looks like two little black monitors, and I have a "Wired Network" option, but then under the "Wireless Networks" there is just nothing. Like my card isn't picking up anything. (I know there are a few wireless networks in my area that it should see)

In Device Manager the card is identified as a "AR5212 802.11abg NIC" and it has two entries underneath it, a "WLAN Interface" and an "Unknown Device".

I figure whatever I've messed up, I've done such a fantastic job of it that I'll just have to figure out for myself, but does anything jump out at anyone right away?

Thanks,
- GM