Re: Netgear WPN311 Wireless G problems

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 00:36:58 -0400, Grok Mogger wrote:
 Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 11:37:03 -0400, Grok Mogger wrote:
[...]
Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the advice! I ended up getting a Netgear WPN311 Wireless G PCI card. Now I'm just trying to get the darn thing working. Right now, I'm actually using the desktop install of Ubuntu 6.10, Edgy Eft. I've followed the advice here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/enable-wpa-wireless-access-point-in-ubuntu.html

[...]

In Device Manager the card is identified as a "AR5212 802.11abg NIC" and it has two entries underneath it, a "WLAN Interface" and an "Unknown Device".

I figure whatever I've messed up, I've done such a fantastic job of it that I'll just have to figure out for myself, but does anything jump out at anyone right away?
Step 1 is: Run "iwconfig" as root and post the output here.
Further steps depend on the outcome of step 1.
 Here's the output of "sudo iwconfig".

[...]

 ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""
           Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated
           Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:18 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
           Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality=0/94  Signal level=-95 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm

[...]

OK, so at least ath0 is recognised as an interface with wireless
extensions. The main problem is now that you seem to be unable to
associate with any access point ("Access Point:" should show the MAC
address of an access point instead of "Not-Associated").

This might simply mean that there are no access points close enough to
you, or that they are all using WPA to restrict access.

You can scan for access points by running:

sudo iwlist ath0 scan

Check if this command works and if the output makes sense. You should
also verify that you are at least able to change settings, for example

sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "GrokMogger"

should lead to "GrokMogger" being displayed as the ESSID if you run
"iwconfig ath0" again. If you get any error messages during these
operations you should post them here.
Since we can at present not completely rule out that there is a problem
with hardware/drivers, you should also run

dmesg | egrep 'ath0|madwifi'

right after boot and post the output here. (The WPN311 should be well
supported, but it cannot hurt to check.)

Hey, thank you so much for your help.

When I try to scan, I always get no results. The irritating thing is that at one time I just magically started getting results. I picked up all three nearby wireless networks in my area. I still could not connect to anything, and one of the three is even wide open, completely unencrypted. In the course of messing with things in an attempt to connect to something, I am back to where I started. If I do a "sudo iwlist ath0 scan" or a "sudo wlanconfig ath0 list scan", I get nothing. (I'm typing the output by hand obviously, but this is exactly what it says)

$ sudo iwlist ath0 scan
ath0	No scan results
$

$ sudo wlanconfig ath0 list scan
$ [Nothing appears here, just a prompt]

If I do a "sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "GrokMogger" ", then I see no output, but then a "sudo iwconfig" shows me that my ESSID on ath0 is indeed now "GrokMogger".

I just did a "dmesg | egrep 'ath0|madwifi' " and the output was just one line.
"[   83.523316] ath0: no IPv6 routers present"

I'm still reading like a fiend and trying things on my own, but this is my third day working on this and I still have not made any progress. (That I didn't somehow ruin later) So I really appreciate the help. =) This is obviously way over my head.

Thanks,
- GM