Re: Configuring networked printer

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 19:44 +0100, andy wrote:

Greg Folkert wrote:

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 19:12 +0100, andy wrote:

8<  [[ snip ]]
Thanks Greg

I have now set the "share" advertising checkbox as you suggested,
saved changes and the CUPSd restarted.

This is the latest response from the "client" (Box B) machine: An
error occurred while loading
http://valhalla.org:631/printers/EpsonDX6050?op=print-self-test-page:
Could not connect to host valhalla.org (port 631)

Valhalla = Box A (+ printer)

There shouldn't be any reason Box B is not allowed access to port
631
- under Slackware this was fine and I haven't adjusted the
firewall
(external OBSD) since installing Etch. What I was wondering is
whether
this the correct form and correct location of the necessary files:

ipp://192.168.1.40/printers/EpsonDX6050

This is how it is set up on Box B to access the remote printer on
Box
A. Is this the source of the problem?

Okay, you might be surprised at this, but you might have configured
you
"local" to not listen to advertising machine.

On your local machine, you need to have the check box named "Show
printers shared by other systems" checked. This then allows you
local
machine to auto-magically configure your printer on the remote
machine.

You should then see (within a few moments) the proper printer show
up.
You should not have to configure your local machine in any way,
other
than to select it. Though you should set CUPS to use the
"discovered"
printer by default.

Once that happens ( setting the checkbox on the local machine, the
discovery and setting of default) your machine should just work.

Greg

Thanks for this - I think this might be pretty useful, but I am
getting confused by what you mean by remote and local. Can I just go
over your suggestions using the following:
Box A (has printer attached 192.168.1.40 valhalla)
Box B (no printer 192.168.1.29 winlin)

Are you saying:
Box A must have the check box "Show printers shared by other systems"
checked?

I have done this on Box B and get the following when the server
restarts:
An error occurred while loading
http://ip6-localhost:631/admin/?OP=redirect:
Could not connect to host ip6-localhost (port 631)

Can you just clarify this one a bit for me please.

don't use the "ip6-localhost". Just use "localhost" ipv6 sucks at this
point in time.

And yes it is Box B winlin that needs this (Show printers shared by
other systems) set.

Box A does not need it, unless you have another machine sharing printers
that you want to use locally on Box A.

Box B winlin, is your workstation. It needs to listen.

Box A valhalla is a server, it needs to advertise.

Once you have properly setup A to be a server, and B to be a client and
the advertising works, the magic of CUPS will just be great.

This of course assumes Box A has the printer properly setup in the first
place. Which you've said it is.

Hmmm - Box A (printer connected) is configured to "Share published printers connected to this system" (check) but not "Show printers shared by other systems" (uncheck).

Box B (no printer) is configured only with "Show printers shared by other systems" checked. The error I now get trying to print a test page on Box B is:
"An error occurred while loading
http://valhalla.org:631/printers/EpsonDX6050?op=print-self-test-page:
Could not connect to host valhalla.org (port 631)"

I'm sure that this can't be that difficult so am quite willing to accept that I've put a spanner in this somewhere. Just can't figure out where I may have done so ...

Thanks for your help here Greg

Andy