Re: Configuring networked printer

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 19:12 +0100, andy wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 16:25 +0100, andy wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > OK - have fixed the old issue re: the OOo configuration printing -
> > > it
> > > just required me to stop and restart the print server :)
> > >
> > > Next issue - I'm wanting to be able to print from Box B to the
> > > USB
> > > printer which is located on Box A.
> > > Box A is 192.168.1.40
> > > I have changed the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file to read:
> > >

> > Okay, in the CUPS web interface on the "remote" machine (the machine
> > that has the printer connected), you only need to worry about about
> > making sure the check box "Share published printers connected to
> > this
> > system" is checked. This turns on advertising and should
> > auto-magically
> > setup you local machine to use the printer on he remote machine. It
> > also
> > removes any permission problems you might have.
> >
> > You may have to do this from the machine with the printer attached,
> > as
> > the default is to not check: "Allow remote administration"
> >
> > I'd also suggest you check the "Allow users to cancel any job (not
> > just
> > their own)" check box. It just makes things easier to deal with,
> > especially if you have Windows machines trying to print via Samba.
> >
> > The allow by IP stuff you are trying, get to be a BIG hassle and
> > begins
> > to fall apart quickly once you add other machines into the fray.
> >
> Thanks Greg
>
> I have now set the "share" advertising checkbox as you suggested,
> saved changes and the CUPSd restarted.
>
> This is the latest response from the "client" (Box B) machine: An
> error occurred while loading
> http://valhalla.org:631/printers/EpsonDX6050?op=print-self-test-page:
> Could not connect to host valhalla.org (port 631)
>
> Valhalla = Box A (+ printer)
>
> There shouldn't be any reason Box B is not allowed access to port 631
> - under Slackware this was fine and I haven't adjusted the firewall
> (external OBSD) since installing Etch. What I was wondering is whether
> this the correct form and correct location of the necessary files:
>
> ipp://192.168.1.40/printers/EpsonDX6050
>
> This is how it is set up on Box B to access the remote printer on Box
> A. Is this the source of the problem?

Okay, you might be surprised at this, but you might have configured you
"local" to not listen to advertising machine.

On your local machine, you need to have the check box named "Show
printers shared by other systems" checked. This then allows you local
machine to auto-magically configure your printer on the remote machine.

You should then see (within a few moments) the proper printer show up.
You should not have to configure your local machine in any way, other
than to select it. Though you should set CUPS to use the "discovered"
printer by default.

Once that happens ( setting the checkbox on the local machine, the
discovery and setting of default) your machine should just work.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup