Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

galevsky@gmail.com wrote:
> 2007/4/4, Wei Chen <wchenhk@gmail.com>:
>> 2) Is there any Debian specific LVM Howtos where I can learn
>> debianized LVM?
>>
>> 3) How does LVM handle software upgrades in Debian?
>
> For extra Debian specific stuff, I have no idea... I think there is
> nothing special. Google gave me http://deb.riseup.net/storage/lvm2/...
>
>> 4) Say I have 2 physical disks. Now I can put important data on disk 1
>> and put the backups of those important data on disk 2. In this way I
>> have two copies of important data on different physical devices (Only
>> some (not many) of my data are /important/.) Can I do similar using LVM?
>
> Ya you can create a snapshot logical volume that will register all the
> new modifications done on the volume you want to back-up starting from
> the time you took the snapshot (to back-up 500GB of data, you may need
> only 1GB of snapshot just to record how things were before these new
> modifications happened) and then, you can copy, handle, launch your
> favorite back-up tool on this snapshot lv to back-up things as usual.
> Read more info on
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshots_backup.html.

I wonder how much such a snapshot LV can slow down the disk write. I am
sometimes a disk writer. In this case, I guess it could be better to
divide a separate partition on one physical disk to store the backup.

>> 5) Is there an easy and supported way to convert my current disks (and
>> data on the disks) to LVM?
>
> As Doug said, and because lv are just normal partitions that are
> mounted normally, you are just asking to move your current partitions
> to new ones. I think you can do it by booting on a live-cd, preparing
> new partitions, moving the files chroot into moved env, rewriting
> fstab ...

I thought it was possible to boot from live cd, copy all files to one
disk, say B (remove some of them to save space) and then do a LVM on
another disk (A), then copy files to the LVM disk A, then make B a new
LV to add to the existing VG.

I realize later that hard links and special files should be specially
treated so things are not that simple as thought.

I decide then that a scratch install is really needed. I shall think of
it when I have free time. Thank you.

- --
Cheers,

Wei Chen