Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:25:47PM +0800, Wei Chen wrote:

> >> 5) Is there an easy and supported way to convert my current disks (and
> >> data on the disks) to LVM?
> >
> > As Doug said, and because lv are just normal partitions that are
> > mounted normally, you are just asking to move your current partitions
> > to new ones. I think you can do it by booting on a live-cd, preparing
> > new partitions, moving the files chroot into moved env, rewriting
> > fstab ...
> >

> I thought it was possible to boot from live cd, copy all files to one
> disk, say B (remove some of them to save space) and then do a LVM on
> another disk (A), then copy files to the LVM disk A, then make B a new
> LV to add to the existing VG.

Choices, choices.  You can do it any number of ways.  Here's another
one:

If you can move all your data to one disk, set the other disk up as a
(degraded) one-volume raid1.  Set up LVM on that md0.  Move your data
onto that.  Then add the second disk into the raid1 array and wait for
it to sync.

Doug.