Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

galevsky@gmail.com wrote:
>> > "Only the root user can perform a chroot. This is intended to prevent
>> > users from putting a setuid program inside a specially-crafted chroot
>> > jail (for example, with a fake /etc/passwd file) that would fool it
>> > into giving out privileges. It also, however, prevents non-root users
>> > from using the chroot mechanism to create sandboxes of their own."
>>
>> Also see the schroot package.
>> http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/schroot
>>
>> I think that is the problem. Thanks.
>
> Ya it is, just imagine that a user copy his own /etc, /sbin, /usr,
> /lib and so on under /home/the_user/ with all the permissions on the
> all files. Then he chroots to /home/the_user and he is able to run
> root tools..... format partitions and so on. But let's consider the
> chroot command usage ..... what for but administration task ?
> Nothing. As a normal user, it can just be used for system attack.
> Normally, your / is where the admin has decided to put it for you.

I see. Thanks.

> As for LVM2, maybe you should get more info about it, since it is very
> useful and stable now. The major part of the problem is due to
> LVM1-to-LVM2 migration, but if you respect some rules, there should be
> no problem. It is not very complicated to use. I advise you to read
> the howto http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html then you will
> have your own idea about this powerful tool. It is just a meta-view of
> your HD. Don't you feel jammed with non-extensible partitions ? No
> built-in snapshot feature ?
>
> Gal'

Just had a look at it. It seems attractive. I have some questions.

1) How does LVM handle power/disk faults?

2) Is there any Debian specific LVM Howtos where I can learn debianized LVM?

3) How does LVM handle software upgrades in Debian?

4) Say I have 2 physical disks. Now I can put important data on disk 1
and put the backups of those important data on disk 2. In this way I
have two copies of important data on different physical devices (Only
some (not many) of my data are /important/.) Can I do similar using LVM?

5) Is there an easy and supported way to convert my current disks (and
data on the disks) to LVM?

- --
Cheers,

Wei Chen