Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:35:00AM +0800, Wei Chen wrote:

> Michael Pobega wrote:
> > Isn't testing stable enough for most desktop users? I know myself I
> > stick with testing as a rolling release (Until they update something
> > big, then I don't upgrade for two to three weeks).
> >
> > Testing offers enough stability to be a desktop distro. Of course, the
> > one thing it is missing is very up to date packages, but that's why
> > the user has options; You have the option to use Debian as a rolling
> > release (Testing/Unstable), you have the option to use Debian by it's
> > release name (Etch/Lenny), or you have the option to not use Debian at
> > all.
>
> Why my idea just cannot be understood... I did not talk about whether it
> is stable enough or not. OK, let me say it in the directest way. (please
> forgive me)
>
> Why is Windows used by so many people? Microsoft does not provide to

Microsoft became dominant in the software-for-desktop-computers before
Windows existed. At that time, the typical desktop-computer was quite
incapable of running anything as complicated as Linux/UNIX, or the
current version of Windows. Microsoft has been able to maintain its
market dominance through a variety of marketing tactics. IMHO, it is
a classic example of an inefficient market.