Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

Wei Chen wrote:
> So it is that based on Debian, people create Ubuntu. Also based on
> Debian, there is Backports.

No. Ubuntu is based on debian, but not debian, ie. compatibility between
packages from ubuntu and debian is less than 100%. Packages from
backports are *for* debian, so apart from human error and possible bugs
slipping in compatibility is 100%.

> These are all projects that improve desktop users' experience (from what
> I believe, at least). Is there anything that Debian itself does for this?

Debian evolves all the time, releasing when ready. How can one think
that this wouldn't improve the users' experience? I regularly use both
etch and sarge and see a quite large improvement.

> There are examples of successful projects. For the workload/manpower
> issue, I guess what is needed is a flag. The project is there; people
> think it is interesting; and then they may try to contribute to it. For
> example, those above mentioned projects also get enough contributors to
> work with them.

Correct me, if I am wrong, but IIRC there are more people working for
debian than for your above mentioned projects.

Debian just has a different focus: support a much larger amount of
software packages and different architectures; having a 'stable'
release. If you don't like or need such many packages and don't want or
need a stable system, you don't need to run debian stable.

Johannes