Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

On 03/30/07 13:25, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 12:41 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
>> Greg Folkert writes:
>>> Ratio of White flour to Wheat flour? What do you guess?
>>> 6-7 white flour train cars to 1 Wheat flour. We are talking 160,000
>>> pounds each train car. Each car being a 100 ton car.
>> Sounds like a plausible ratio.  However, you're still talking carload
>> quantities.  The difference is not likely to make the white flour more than
>> a few percent cheaper than the whole wheat (and the cost of the flour isn't
>> that large a fraction of the price of the bread anyway).
>
> In actuality, white flour in those quantities is actually more
> expensive. There is more storage costs,

Huh?  Two issues:

1) White four is used in so many products that it's got to be
shipped out very soon after it's ground.

2) Large warehouses are, per square meter, cheaper than smaller
warehouses.

>                                         processing costs[0], extra
> pre-cautions for contamination.

Why extra?  Do mice eat white flour more than whole wheat flour?

>                                 Wheat has those as well, but fewer of
> them in less scale quantities.
>
> I though maybe you (or anyone) would have caught on to where I was going
> with this.
>
>> Of course, there was a time when white bread was the fancy, expensive
>> stuff...
>
> Which is exactly why the US (in general) has a preference for it.
>

> [0] == Think for instance, trying to get the evidence of a ground mouse
> or rat out of the white flour? Yes, it is gross to think about. There
> are FDA regulations about it. Same for hot-dogs and other ground meat.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA