Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

Seth Goodman writes:
> As far as separating hardware from software issues, the suggestion of a
> live CD for hardware diagnostics is a good one.  Unfortunately, when an
> unsophisticated user calls, you still have to spend time convincing them
> to run the hardware diagnostic CD first, and that costs you money.

I think that would be cheaper than walking them through hardware tests
using the possibly broken Microsoft Windows installation.

Manufacturers complain that they don't want to ship machines with no OS
because they couldn't support them with no known software for their support
people to work with the user with.  They also say they don't want to ship
multiple OSs because they would have to train their support people on all
of them.  A test CD addresses both of these problems.

If the test CD is based on a Linux live CD, it could also be a Linux
install CD.
--
John Hasler