Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

On 3/30/07, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
My comments concerned whole grain bread, not Windows :).

In that case, it's an economy of scale.  Most people want white bread,
so bread companies buy a lot more white flour than whole grain.
That's a steadier income stream for millers selling white flour than
for those selling whole grain (or steadier income on the product lines
from a single company), so they can afford to charge less.  If whole
grain is less popular, it's more likely to fluctuate from month to
month, so the price has to include some "insurance" against sales
dipping.  In addition, if they have one set of machinery, they need to
adjust it to produce whole grain vs. white flour.  The one that sells
more wins in this case, with some cost associated with the time it
takes to convert to whole grain processing and back.

I'm sure we have Debian users in the grain business on the list who
will correct anything inaccurate in the above.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh