Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 10:58 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Michael A. Marsh writes:
> > In that case, it's an economy of scale.  Most people want white bread, so
> > bread companies buy a lot more white flour than whole grain.
>
> That was probably true decades ago but I think that these days the
> whole-wheat market is large enough that the cost differences are minimal.

We have 3 bread factories and one "Keebler" here in town. They get the
bulk flour in via train cars, then transfer it to trucks then into the
factory. It takes 3 Trucks to empty and transfer a single train car.

Ratio of White flour to Wheat flour? What do you guess?

6-7 white flour train cars to 1 Wheat flour. We are talking 160,000
pounds each train car. Each car being a 100 ton car.

Or how about the fact that the "Wonder-Bread" factory in Indianapolis
still only receives white flour?

What about the "Keebler" factory here in town? Well they make cookies
and bread. Hugely slants the ratio to white flour, so I don't really
now.

I know this, mainly because I enjoy Real Life sized trains and see the
process of loading the trucks, which is 24 hour a day process. It
happens at both the CSX and Conrail yards in town. And I formerly worked
on non-impact printing for marking things like bread wrappers and soda
cans, mailing of letters, etc.... I learned many things and developed
friends in a wide variety of industries.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup