Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:23:41AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:45:13 -0500
> John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Paul Walsh writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > Then again, why is it that wholemeal bread "with nowt taken out" (thus
> > > presumably requiring less in the production process) costs more than
> > > white bread?
> >
> > Because you are willing to pay more for it.
> > --
> > John Hasler
>
> Doesn't basic economics dictate that given competition, the equilibrium
> price is determined by both supply and demand? Even if I'm willing to
> pay a great deal, if the cost to produce the item is low, competition
> should drive down the price. Are you implying that the market is a
> monopoly or oligarchy?

Except for Dell, most hardware vendors sell their product wholesale to
retailers. These vendors need to convince retailers to stock their product
and offer it to the public. The retail marketplace is dominated by
Microsoft. Much as I like Debian and Linux, I find it hard to believe
that Microsoft dominance of retail will end in the near future. Is this
monopoly, oligarchy, or simply reality?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net