Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

Joey Hess wrote:
> Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>> Security support for etch started around the freeze, IIRC.
>
> Testing has had security support for several years now.
> http://secure-testing-master.debian.net/

Thanks for proving me wrong. I was unaware of testing's security
repositories.

Searching the archives, I found what triggered me wrong:

<quote> [1]

Security support
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Final preparations for security support will be done during the general
freeze, that is now. We hope being able to announce start of security
support soon, but obviously, it is a pre-condition for release.
</quote>

<quote> [2]
There are also good news.  One of them is that the security team told us
that we now have security support for Etch (and also that Etch has been
in a good status for some time now regarding security).
</quote>

Is there something unofficial about http://secure-testing.debian.net ?

Why is our release manager announcing the 'start of security support
soon', if it already has been in place for years?

Thanks for enlightening me about that!

Johannes,
long-time and happy user of testing/etch 8-)

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/12/msg00004.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/12/msg00008.html