Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 04:24:59PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> > Security support for etch started around the freeze, IIRC.
>
> Testing has had security support for several years now.
> http://secure-testing-master.debian.net/
>
> It doesn't work much like the security support for stable, because
> testing is not managed like stable is. Feel free to look at the lists of
> known unfixed vulnerabilities in stable and testing, and draw your own
> conclusions about which is more secure:
> http://security-tracker.debian.net/tracker/status/release/stable
> http://security-tracker.debian.net/tracker/status/release/testing

it appears to me that there are two paths into testing for security
fixes: sid or testing security. Is it possible for a security fix to
bypass sid and make it into testing? Obviously there would be some
upstream method for dealing with this... I dug through some of those
vulnerabilities and couldn't find any that were fixed in etch but not
sid, but it seems like it could happen. please educate me