Re: Alternatives to Dreamweaver

Raffaele Morelli wrote:
     >>> I friend of mine wants to run Dreamweaver, and I suggested
    wine. However
     >>> he had some problems (which I don't remember, and my friend is
    not here
     >>> right now). He runs Debian Unstable.
     >>>
     >> This friend knows that Dreamweaver does *not* produce
    web-suitable HTML,
     >> right?  (If it doesn't pass http://validator.w3.org/, it's not
     >> web-suitable).
     >>
     >> (And are you really his friend for not suggesting something
    better than
     >> Dreamweaver?)
     >>

     > Please suggest something that would fit the bill, rather than just
     > saying "don't do that."

(Did not follow this thread completely)
Quanta suite is a great web-dev tool. It produces web-suitable html,xhtml (transitional,strict,basic), xml, wml ... according to the project DTD definition settings.

It comes with several plugin which makes web-dev life quite easy e.g for php developers among others, such vars completion full control, syntax and php-function highlighting and arguments reminder.

Stylesheets are also easy to implement.

It's really worth to have a look.

cheers
raffaele

HTML editors I know of:

NVU - based off Mozilla composer, allows several alternate views,
      including a "WYSIWYG" view/edit mode.

bluefish
Quanta+
screem  - these are all (so far as I can determine, with a quick
          and cursory overview) direct HTML/... editors.  They
          provide 'quick' creation modes, with buttons to create
          common elements (opening/closing tags, etc.) but do not
          provide a WYSIWYG editing feature.  You create the page
          and then use an external browser to view and evaluate it.

OOo - OpenOffice provides an HTML editor, which is WYSIWYG.