Alternatives to Dreamweaver (was: Re: Wine)

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote in Article
> <[🔎] e628adfd0703180245o4ed9f289m4b2ad04dbf6f1aba@mail.gmail.com> posted to
> gmane.linux.debian.user:
>

>> I friend of mine wants to run Dreamweaver, and I suggested wine. However
>> he had some problems (which I don't remember, and my friend is not here
>> right now). He runs Debian Unstable.
>>

> This friend knows that Dreamweaver does *not* produce web-suitable HTML,
> right?  (If it doesn't pass http://validator.w3.org/, it's not
> web-suitable).
>
> (And are you really his friend for not suggesting something better than
> Dreamweaver?)

Please suggest something that would fit the bill, rather than just
saying "don't do that."

While I haven't used DW in many years (since I realized it has serious
vendor lock-in issues), I recognize that there is a need for 'regular
folks' to sometimes work on the Web.  Last time I checked, the GNU/Linux
HTML editing/FTP programs were way off the mark for the 'regular
folks'.  Have these programs gotten better over the past few years?