Re: Wine

On 03/16/07 02:06, Joe Hart wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 10:58:10PM +0100, Joe Hart wrote:
>>> According to Wine HQ, there are no packages for Debian, only Ubuntu

Currently, WineHQ is at v0.9.32 & Unstable is v0.9.30

$ wajig policy wine
wine:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.9.30-1
  Version table:
     0.9.30-1 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages

Who's Scott Ritchie?  The DD is Ove Kaaven <ovek@arcticnet.no>.

>> The problem is more with dependencies than with anything else.  As I
>> said, the format is the same.  Complaining that an Ubuntu .deb package
>> doesn't work on Debian is like complaining that an Etch .deb doesn't
>> work on Sarge.  Over time, as things diverge, it is more likely that
>> packages won't fit across branches.  The same is true with Debian and
>> Ubuntu.
>
>> Now, it is really not hard to build package for both Ubuntu and Debian.
>> In fact, it is no harder than building packages for Sid and Sarge.
>> Tools like sbuild, pbuilder and chroot can be used to great advantage
>> here.  I hear that there are some Debian developers whose primary/only
>> real platform is Ubuntu and that they package using pbuilder chroots.
>> Generally, this is considered bad practice for a Debian developer since
>> that means that the package received no testing on Debian, but it can be
>> done.

Or if you run Sarge or Testing, grab the unstable deb-src and
compile away...