Re: Wine

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/15/07 15:41, Mathias Brodala wrote:
>> Hello Ron.
>
>> Ron Johnson, 15.03.2007 21:36:
>>> cxOffice's goal is, not surprisingly, to make MS Office run
>>> transparently on x86 Linux.
>> Not only anymore. Codeeweavers dropped the Office part and do aim for other
>> applications like graphics applications and even games.
>
> That must be recent.
>
>>> Cedaga's original name was TransGaming.
>> Erm, no. The original name was WineX (and still is in the CVS), TransGaming is
>> the company developing Cedega.
>
> Ah, ok.  Still, "Trans*Gaming*" tells you something.
>

>> Regards, Mathias

According to Wine HQ, there are no packages for Debian, only Ubuntu
because the maintainer only runs Ubuntu.  The packages are not
compatible with Debian because "Debian changed the package format",
which means you either need to compile the source or use the package on
one of the Debian mirrors, which is usually a bit behind the packages on
Wine HQ.

Something makes me wonder if someone at wine has things backwards.

One of the things (as I stated a few weeks ago) that drove me away from
Ubuntu was the incompatibility of .deb files between Ubuntu and Debian.
 I really would like to know who changed what because I see with
Ubuntu's gaining popularity, more developers are making Ubuntu .deb
files and not  Debian .deb files and we're going to run into a .deb-hell
if it continues.  Of course I am speaking of third-party repositories.

If I really cared about running Windows programs, I might volunteer to
maintain it, but I don't have any desire to run Windows programs.  My
goal is to get away completely from them.

Joe
- --