ATI fglrx driver and notebook brightness ajustment

Hi guys,

On my notebook, HP nx6125 (ATI X300 graphics), if I use the included
radeon (oss) driver, I can ajust the screen brightness with the fn keys on
the keyboard, and if I unplug AC power, the screen dimms automatically.

But if I used the fglrx driver, this doesn't work correctly.   It does
work, but the changes aren't seen on the screen.  For example, I have my
KDE/Gnome desktop open in front of me, screen is in full brightness.  I
unplug the AC or use the fn keys to turn down the brightness.  Nothing
happens, the screen stays bright.  If I now press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to
console, the console is dimmed, and if I now Alt+F7 back to X, X is dimmed
as well.

So something prevents these brightness functions to update the screen in
real time.  Obviously the problem is with the fglrx driver, or some part
of it.  I know it works correctly on some other notebooks with the same
driver.

Has anybody seen this?  Is it simply a setting in xorg.conf, an ACPI
issue, or am I out of luck?  Google turns op mostly issues with backlight
not switching off when the lid is closed, which seems to be ACPI issues
with particular notebooks, but nothing that looks directly like what I'm
seeing.

Thanks
Hans