Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

Hello Eduard and *,

Am 2007-03-13 12:58:31, schrieb Eduard Bloch:
> > I would certainly trust XFS.  Of course, if you don't have your machine
> > on an UPS, it can cause problems on a crash or power outage.  How are
>
> Great, that is the usual propaganda from XFS users with the same lame
> excuse written with small letters. It has this bad tendency to shred the
> file contents after powerouts or sudden kernel crashes... silently
> inserting lots of 0x0s, IIRC sometimes only a 512 byte block, sometimes
> filling the rest of a file after a certain position. I cannot prove it
> either, it is just the experience which I had every time after I tried
> XFS in the last years. And every time I came back to ext3 where I can
> not remember such trouble.

I have had the same experience...

Even ext3 takes ages on s ICP/Vortex with fiveteen 300 GByte SCSI
drivers (15.000 RpM) I have never had grave losts of Data.

While using ReiderFS I have gotten over 1,3 TByte of ZEROed files.
The Kernel crash had killed my whole filesystem.

I think, ext3 and now ext4 should be the only reliable FileSystem
for @home users which want to avoid to buy an UPS even if they are
not realy expensive.  A SmartUPS 650 from APC should do for ALL
Workstations and small FileServers @home.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)