Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

On 3/6/07, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

Did you even *read* what was at those links?  I'll excerpt a few things
for you.

So, now your challenge is to explain how any of those is actually better
than NYC or Chicago.  (hint: they're not)

I don't need to. The people involved (much better qualified than you, even
if you are in the Air Force) have given awards to what they think are the
*best* systems; and NYC and Chicago are not among them.

What you clearly fail to understand is that the previous discussion
centered around economic viability of public transit systems.

No, it did not; it centered only in the fact that you tried to pass some
statistics about the *largest* systems as if they were about the *best*
systems. I caught you red-handed and you are trying to weasel out of
the hole you've digged for yourself, like the perfect member of the military
that you are: intellectually bankrupt.

> http://www.thebus.org/AboutTheBus/AmericaBest.asp

Haha!  This is a web page by the people who run TheBus pimping
*themselves*!  Of course, *they* are going to think they are the best.
Granted, they did get some APTA awards in the past.

Conveniently you did not include a reference to it in the wikipedia page,
which says

"The contest was met with controversy when cities opposed having to
compete each year with TheBus, Honolulu's mass transit system, which
had won the competition twice. The service provided by the City & County
of Honolulu in Hawai'i was removed from competition as other cities felt
they could not compete with its standards."

Is this not a ringing endorsement of one of the *best* systems in the US?

Of course, none of the systems discussed above, except for LA, even
comes close to NYC or Chicago.  Heck, NYC is an entire order of
magnitude greater than Chicago and LA when it comes to number of
passneger trips.

And that makes them the *largest*, as I said earlier, not the *best* as
you said. But, of course, with the widespread belief in the US that
quantity is better than quality, is not surprising that you confuse both
concepts.

Of course, since you either didn't bother to read the thread or simply
ignored what you read, you are not aware that the "best" that we were
discussing centered around numbers of trips per capita and economic
viability.

Are you so stupid to think that the Honolulu bus sytem has a low number
of trips per capita or that it is not viable?

No wonder you are in the Air Force.