Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:55:39PM -0500, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> On  2 Mar, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >>
> > Here is a list of cities to which I have travelled that attempted to
> > put public transportation in place which still have massivley
> > attrocious traffic problems (hint: that is an indicator that enough
> > people use the public transportation systems):
> >
> > Seattle, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Miami, Orlando,
> > Tampa, Jacksonville (though they have improved more than most),
> > Atlanta
> >

>      I asked for statistics, not personal experience/opinion.
> Specifically, to back up the claim "pretty much every metro area"
> that has tried public transportation has not really improved things
> despite large expense.  Your anecdotal impressions do not answer the
> question.

OK.  I'll give you two stats [0].  NYC and Chicago.

NYC:
population: 18,498,000 (urban area)
passenger trips: 2,655,645,300 (unlinked, so transfering counts the trip
one for each transfer)
average: 143.5 trips per person per year (0.57 per day assuming 250
working days)

Chicago:
population: 8,711,000 (urban area)
passenger trips: 474,750,700 (again, unlinked)
average: 54.5 trips per person per year (0.22 per day assuming 250
working days)

So, assuming that everybody uses public transit to only get to and from
work in those cities, New Yorkers average one leg of one trip every
other day.  Chicagoans average just one leg of one trip per week.  Now,
if you compare motor vehicle traffic in those cities, you see that even
the two *best* public transport cities in the US can't even make public
transport work for a *majority* of their residents.

Now, they *all* go downhill from there.

Wnat more stats?

[0] http://www.apta.com/research/stats/factbook/documents/natsummary.pdf

--