Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:09:18PM -0500, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> On  1 Mar, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >
> >     Er... in what reality?  Pretty much every major metro area that
> > has tried public transportation it has ended up not really improving
> > things, costing more than projected and has all around been a serious
> > financial sink-hole. Are there exceptions, sure, but exceptions to a
> > general rule of failure do not make a sound case for universal
> > acceptance.
> >

>      Care to back that up with some statistics?

Here is a list of cities to which I have travelled that attempted to put
public transportation in place which still have massivley attrocious
traffic problems (hint: that is an indicator that enough people use the
public transportation systems):

Seattle, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Miami, Orlando, Tampa,
Jacksonville (though they have improved more than most), Atlanta

That's only four states.  There is also Mexico City and San Juan (well
the whole island of Puerto Rico, really).

I even was not too impressed when I travelled to Portland about five
years ago, though traffic there was, on the whole, better than most
other places.

Regards,

-Roberto

--