Re: OT: sponge burning!

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 02:33:34PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:25:27AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> > we already went throught the mean/median thing so,
> >
> > median household income in my district $43,2xx
> > congress-critter income		       $165,200
> >
> > even more significant. those folks at that median income are living on
> > the edge. at $165k here you could live like a king, really.
> >
> True.  But your senator has to live there *and* in DC.  Also, how many
> people at or below the median income work at jobs where they are
> supposed to represent the interests of thousands or hundreds of
> thousands or even millions of constituents (depending on the size of the
> district or state)?

we've already sort of beat this horse, so I'll just say this -- the
original point of that original comment was to try to address the issue of
respresntatives not having their constituents interests at heart. One
part of that is that they (heavily generalising here, I know) don't
have a real grasp on how their constituents live. One way to fix this
is to put them in the same economic conditions as those they
represent. I'll drop this topic now.

My response above was to the statement that representatives make when
same as their constituents. that's just not true.