Re: ??: IMAP Mail server question

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 11:17 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:29:22PM +0200, Nick Demou wrote:
> >
> > courier-IMAP was easy to install and setup
> >
> > works fine with many users accessing the same maildir about 20
> > maildirs in a low spec server. Hundreds of folders per maildir with
> > some of them having up to 30000 emails
> >
> > With outlook express I have some problems now and then that get fixed
> > by doing a "clear local cache" on OE. Only once had a problem with
> > thunderbird (started constantly complaining that it could not save the
> > email it just sent to the INBOX folder while at the same time it HAD
> > saved it). Worked around this annoyance and didn't try to fix it
> >
> The main gotcha with Courier, is that by default it only allows 4
> connections per IP, but T-bird tries to make 5.  You can fix that in
> either place (probably the server if you have lots of users).

I've change the number of connections from a single IP to 75, especially
when running X-Terminal supporting 10+ people at the same time. Usually
it just works otherwise. The only thing I have to change is causing
exim4 to use $HOMEDIR/Maildir delivery vs. /var/spool/mail.

And this bit about not being able to handle large amounts of mail?

        greg@uno:~$ du -ks Maildir/
        313998560       Maildir/

All served up via courier-imap-ssl. Hope that clears it up.

Also, I've scaled courier-imap upto ~700 users with ~100 continuous
users accessing, using a single processor with 4G of memory, a single FC
SCSI card to a SAN.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup