Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> Obviously that kind of change can't happen overnight. Its an ugly
> problem, no matter how you cut it.

    And that doesn't even come close to talking about the problem that a
purely electric car has no range at all.  I once scoffed at Harley Davidson
"touring" motorcycles with a 3 gallon tank.  That's right about 100-120 miles
if you run the tank dry.  At the time I was scoffing I knew of some areas in
the west where 120 miles wouldn't get you from one gas station to the next.

    So now imagine trying to drive anywhere in the western half of the US
where your range is limited to 40 miles.  My daily commute, one way, is 40
miles.  In short such a vehicle would, on a daily basis, make me worry whether
I have to push it the last few feet into my parking space!

    By comparison my motorcycle gets 40 miles to the gallon and holds 6 and
change of 'em.  3 round trips to work one one 1-way trip to work.  Until range
dramatically improves it's pretty much a non-starter.  Unless, of course, we
invest more into infrastructure to put a recharging station every 40 miles
which can handle hundreds of cars an hour.