Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

Wulfy wrote:
> Decommissioning nuclear plant...  storage of nuclear waste...  clean?
> hardly.

> Chernobyl.., 3 Mile Island... how many people now have cancer because of
> your "clean" power source?

    How many less people have cancer from the lower particulate count in the
air?  How many people are alive now thanks to power to provide modern medical
care?

    Hate to break it to you but there is no perfect energy source.  None.
It's all tradeoffs.  And yeah, cancer from fallout is scary in the science
fiction sense of the word you really have to look beyond the scare and down
into the hard numbers of how much of the benefits outweigh the costs.

    'sides, it still cracks me up every time some environmentalist says the
electric car is "clean".  Yeah, because, you know, the power grid won't need
dozens of new plants to take over for the energy the cars are now not
individually producing.  *eyeroll*

    In the interest of disclosure I live in Southern Nevada and am pissed that
Yucca Mountain hasn't gone through and looks like it is dead.  I'm a tad
closer to the scary stuff than most other people who hand-wring over it.