Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Greg Folkert wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 14:18 -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> I would argue that anything larger than a pickup truck is not an offroad
>> vehicle regardless of marketing.  A Ford Excursion and all Hummer models
>> fail to qualify as offroad vehicles for this reason in my book.  You can
>> spend all day trying to find a route around a narrow road in one of those
>> while I just cruise down the straight route, around you and up between
>> those two trees on opposite sides of the trail you can't fit through...
>
> So, the Original HMMV doesn't classify. Wow, that's a bold statement.

No, the military HMMV and anything made by Hummer (the civilian automaker)
have almost nothing to do with each other, other than the body styling.

> The Original HMMV, was designed to get through DEEP mud/water/sand/snow
> with ease. HMMVs with Rim-Drive like it has and 43 degree incline bite,
> many elements from specially designed "rock-climbing" vehicles, many
> elements from early Baja vehicles and a very well balanced weight
> distribution are indeed very offroad. Of course the consumer versions of
> them aren't quite what I'd call "clones", the Hummer-1 is as close to it
> as any consumer can get.

None of which the civilian hummer can do.  The Hummer H1 can come close, but
I'd be concerned about breaking the toothpicks claiming to be steering
linkage on that POS.