Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 10:41:02AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> Joe Hart wrote:
>>
>> > It's not much better anywhere in Europe.  That's why most people drive
>> > small cars.
>>
>> That's why I drive a small car and why small cars are popular in the
>> non-retarded segment of the American population as well.  :o)
>>
> Well, I also drive a small car usually.  But I also own a SUV.  There
> are times when they are necessary.  Like when it has snowed 8 inches,
> the streets are not yet clear and you need to get to work.  Or when you
> want to go camping out in the middle of nowhere.  Or when you need to
> haul a trailer loaded with stuff.

Split the difference, then.  I have a 4-door, 5 passenger truck with more
interior room and horsepower than a Ford Explorer of the same year but has
a smaller footprint than a 4-door compact sedan and about the same mileage
as the sedan.  27 city, 35 highway in 2WD on pavement.

I would argue that anything larger than a pickup truck is not an offroad
vehicle regardless of marketing.  A Ford Excursion and all Hummer models
fail to qualify as offroad vehicles for this reason in my book.  You can
spend all day trying to find a route around a narrow road in one of those
while I just cruise down the straight route, around you and up between
those two trees on opposite sides of the trail you can't fit through...