Re: Debian Installation on a cybercafe PC

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 19:54 +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Vibhav,
>  That worked :-)
>
> Regards,
> Deboo
> P.S.: Pls use plain text for sending mails to lists. It's easier to
> read and most ppl don't like html. :-)
>

> On 2/26/07, Vibhav Sharma <vibhav@drishti-soft.com> wrote:
> > Deboo ^ wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >        I need to use linux when out of office. Is there a way to
> > > remove it once I install Debian on to a PC with Windoze (2000/XP)? It
> > > should get removed even from the OS menu. If that is possible, please
> > > explain how to go about it.
> > >
> > are you asking "Is there a way to completely remove a Debian
> > installation from a PC?" ?
> >
> > Atleast that is what I'm able to understand so answering for that. If
> > the question is something else, could you clarify.
> >
> > Anyway, 'yes' you can completely remove a debian installation from a PC.
> > (It's heresy to do so though ;))
> >
> > You'll need to do 2 things
> >
> > 1. restore the windoze MBR.
> >     there might be other ways but this is one of the type of my head for
> > the rest google :).
> >     use a Windoze install disk to boot into rescue mode and run 'fixmbr'
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true
> >
> > 2. Delete the Linux partition
> >     this I'm supposing you'd know howto as you managed to set up a dual
> > boot environment. Just use your favourite tool ..
> > "Partitionmagic(windoze)" / "Parted(*nix)".
> >     or I might have missed some but again 'Google' for "partitioning
> > tools" will get you somewhere.
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> > -Vibhav Sharma

I gotta tell you guys, I wouldn't install/alter an OS on a PC that
wasn't mine. You're asking for trouble if something goes wrong.

I'm not saying you couldn't do this and get away with it, but the
dreadful *what if* something went wrong and you couldn't restore
Windows? Would the shop hold you accountable? An uppity clerk who didn't
understand that Windows was still there, just couldn't accessed, might
get angry. It's probably the worst case scenerio, but why risk it?

Instead of fully installing Debian on the machine, why not just boot
Knoppix or (my fav.) DSL? It's quick, it doesn't touch Windows at all,
no one will every possibly know it was there once you reboot.
--
Matthew K Poer