Re: OT: sponge burning!

On 26 Feb, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> I am obviously inserting myself into another person's conversation,
>>> and for that I apologize, but having read this I feel compelled to
>>> comment.  According to this distinction above there were no Jews
>>> murdered in Germany during the Nazi period.  I can't think this
>>> would
>>
>> You're skating really close to Godwin territory.
>
> Godwin's Law is a constant, not an invokable principle.
> http://wiki.ursine.ca/Godwin's_Law
>
>>> be a very viable definition for 'murder.'
>>
>> I was just having this discussion the other day.  Legal killing is
>> *not* murder.
>
> Depends on prospective.  From a Judeo-christian Biblical prospective,
> it doesn't matter whether or not it's legal, it's still murder.

     Most biblical scholars and seminary graduates would disagree
with this statement.  The commandment is specifically against murder,
not all killing.  Unfortunately, the bible is not too specific on what
killing is acceptable.

> Though where this philosophy breaks down is whether you consider life
> beginning at birth like the law does or at conception like the biology
> does.

     I don't think that there is a standard definition of when (human)
life begins which is accepted by all biologists.  Of course, I'm a
chemist, so I might be wrong on this count.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                                           |
|   Research Scientist III                                             |
|   NYS Dept. of Health                           judd@wadsworth.org   |
|   Wadsworth Center - ESP                                             |
|   P. O. Box 509                                    518 486-7829      |
|   Albany, NY 12201-0509                                              |