Re: Opening ports in Shorewall in order to run an America's Army server

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:30:10 +0100
Jan Stępień <jan@stepien.com.pl> wrote:

> Liam wrote:
> > Are you sure that the server is listening on the ports you think
> > it's listening on? Whats is the output of the command 'netstat
> > -uta'? And if it is, are there any application-level restrictions?
> > It might only be accepting connections from certain source IP
> > addresses.
>
> I've run the AA server and afterwards grepped the output of the
> command you've suggested. Here are the interesting ports:
>
> udp        0      0 *:1716                  *:*
>
> udp     1648      0 [isp url address]:1717 *:*
>
> udp        0      0 *:14200                 *:*
>
> Maybe instead of my URL address provided by my ISP there should be an
> IP?

[...]

No, just that's a feature of the output of telnet. You can tell telnet
to output numeric addresses instead by adding the '-n' option.

Anyway, the output tells you that that you have processes listening on
ports 1716 and 14200 (all interfaces) and port 1717 (external interface
only). All of the above use UDP, so telnet won't be able to connect to
them. You mentioned running nmap also ... did you do so with the '-sU'
option?

--

Liam