Re: Opening ports in Shorewall in order to run an America's Army server

On 23 Lut, 11:10, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.oto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:30:10 +0100
>
> Jan Stępień <j...@stepien.com.pl> wrote:
> > Liam wrote:
> > > Are you sure that the server is listening on the ports you think
> > > it's listening on? Whats is the output of the command 'netstat
> > > -uta'? And if it is, are there any application-level restrictions?
> > > It might only be accepting connections from certain source IP
> > > addresses.
>
> > I've run the AA server and afterwards grepped the output of the
> > command you've suggested. Here are the interesting ports:
>
> > udp        0      0 *:1716                  *:*
>
> > udp     1648      0 [isp url address]:1717 *:*
>
> > udp        0      0 *:14200                 *:*
>
> > Maybe instead of my URL address provided by my ISP there should be an
> > IP?
>
> [...]
>
> No, just that's a feature of the output of telnet. You can tell telnet
> to output numeric addresses instead by adding the '-n' option.
>
> Anyway, the output tells you that that you have processes listening on
> ports 1716 and 14200 (all interfaces) and port 1717 (external interface
> only). All of the above use UDP, so telnet won't be able to connect to
> them. You mentioned running nmap also ... did you do so with the '-sU'
> option?
>
> --
>
> Liam

Not at the moment of writing that message, but after adding -sU the
results are:

# nmap -v -sU  [isp url]

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-02-23 12:12 CET
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 12:12
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 12:12, 0.05s elapsed
Initiating UDP Scan at 12:12
Scanning [isp url] ([ip address]) [1488 ports]
Completed UDP Scan at 12:13, 36.81s elapsed (1488 total ports)
Host [isp url] ([ip address]) appears to be up ... good.
All 1488 scanned ports on [isp url] ([ip address]) are open|filtered

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 37.132 seconds
               Raw packets sent: 2978 (83.396KB) | Rcvd: 1 (46B)

Best regards,
Jan Stępień

--
Mail 	jan at stepien com pl