Re: DCOP problem after Etch with Kde upgrade

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 08:56:44 +0000, john gennard wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

[....]

No, we didn't talk of this. However, I did look at the permissions but clearly not carefully enough (old age is no excuse - I must concentrate more!). Now, looking again, I find a difference between what shows up for the box that has the problem and two other installs which do not:-

drwxrwxrwt  6  root  root  4096  2007-02-20 07:55  /tmp  Broken Box
drwxrwxrwt  7  root  root  4096  2007-02-20 08:00  /tmp  Working Box
drwxrwxrwt  7  root  root  4096  2007-02-20 08:11  /tmp  Laptop

Trying to jog my memory, I think that means a hard link is missing.
If that's correct I need to find which is missing and create it.

/tmp does not need to have the same number of hard links on each system;
it depends on how many programs/services create files and directories in
/tmp.

I think all should be the same. When I'm upgrading Debian by new
installs, I don't select packages, I just let the default selection
go in. All my hardware is the same (but different speeds, manufacturers etc), and the same CD as media. After installs when all works well, I cull packages I don't need and install my own 'peculiarities' (e.g. I use getmail, nullmailer and mutt for Mail). I've looked for 'missing' packages by printing out 'dpkg -l' on three boxes - all are identical down to versions.

What you see is possibly a symptom of the failure to start the
DCOP server, but most likely not its cause. I was worried about the
write permissions for "other" in /tmp, but that seems to be OK.

All the dcop packages on the working boxes are in the problem one,
dcop is not asked to start and despite blundering around I've been
unable to discover from where and how that message should originate.

I would propose that you re-post your question on debian-kde. A number
of people with in-depth knowledge of the KDE internals read this list.
Make sure, however, that you have a subject line which has all the
relevant keywords and the error message to attract the attention of the
these people.

I've just subscribed to debian-kde and will refer the problem to
them as you suggest. I did ask on kde-linux; I got replies but none helped. Frankly, before getting this email, I had decided to get
the latest CD1-Kde and reinstall from that. Now, I'll wait until I
get replies from debian-kde - I have plenty of time to see if a
solution can be found - anyhow, I'm getting 'bloody-minded' and
would like to know why what works on one box does not on other
'identical' ones.

Florian, you've spent a lot of time helping me. I think you've done
quite enough. If I do get a resolution, I'll let you know how it was
achieved.

My gratitude to you for putting up with an old duffer,

Sincere regards,

John.