Re: How does Cron send email?

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 08:45:40PM -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:
>>
>> And secondly, with this little epiphany comes a realization of
>> just how easy it is to spam and where it all comes from...  I
>> could easily bombard whomever I wanted with email from my Linux
>> box sitting right here without the need for a valid "mail
>> account" on a "mail" server or anything of the like.  That's
>> right, isn't it?
>
> well, yes and no. Yes, you certainly could do that. The reality though
> is that most major ISP's will not accept mail from those sets of IP
> addresses flagged as part of another ISP's dhcp pool. For example, my
> home server sits in Comcast's (IknowIknow) dhcp pool (dynamically
> assigned ip addreses). Granted my IP never changes, but its in that
> group and many other ISP's on the net will *not* accept mail from me
> directly. i have to route it through one my providers hosts.

Not that I condone such tactics.  Good host-based antispam rejections are
based on actual spam hosted from specific IPs, not mass blacklists of vast
blocks.  Somewhat more labor intensive to maintain at least initially, but
worth it.

> If I were to get proper fixed IP with a registered domain name and MX
> addresses etc, then yup. i could spam to my hearts content -- and burn
> in hell later (if you're into that sort of thing).

If you're spamming, why waste money on getting a domain when you can forge
headers and point folks to a zombie IP running the webserver?