Re: DCOP problem after Etch with Kde upgrade

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 08:56:44 +0000, john gennard wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> >I kind of lost track of this thread; did we already talk about the
> >permissions of the /tmp directory? They should be like this:
> >
> >$ ls -ld /tmp
> >drwxrwxrwt 16 root root 8192 2007-02-19 18:49 /tmp
>
> No, we didn't talk of this. However, I did look at the permissions
> but clearly not carefully enough (old age is no excuse - I must
> concentrate more!). Now, looking again, I find a difference between
> what shows up for the box that has the problem and two other installs
> which do not:-
>
> drwxrwxrwt  6  root  root  4096  2007-02-20 07:55  /tmp  Broken Box
> drwxrwxrwt  7  root  root  4096  2007-02-20 08:00  /tmp  Working Box
> drwxrwxrwt  7  root  root  4096  2007-02-20 08:11  /tmp  Laptop
>
> Trying to jog my memory, I think that means a hard link is missing.
> If that's correct I need to find which is missing and create it.

/tmp does not need to have the same number of hard links on each system;
it depends on how many programs/services create files and directories in
/tmp. What you see is possibly a symptom of the failure to start the
DCOP server, but most likely not its cause. I was worried about the
write permissions for "other" in /tmp, but that seems to be OK.

I would propose that you re-post your question on debian-kde. A number
of people with in-depth knowledge of the KDE internals read this list.
Make sure, however, that you have a subject line which has all the
relevant keywords and the error message to attract the attention of the
these people.

--
Regards,
          Florian