Weird Screen-Saver/kscreensaver problem

Hi

Distro: SID (Installed years ago, regularly updated)
Desktop: KDE

When i leave my home and/or work computer i lock the screen with
CTRL+ALT+L. I use the "lines" screen-saver set up via kcontrol.

The problem ist: After i log in to my computer again and don't do
anything for 70 seconds i get a black/white/grey patterned background
with a randomly size mostly big "X"-letter (that just looks like the
X.Org X).

The happens exactly after 70 seconds @home and after a much longer time
of at least 5-10 minutes @work. (I haven't clocked that)

To make things even more strange. When i go into kcontrol and just
Re-Apply the screensaver (Klicking on the entry, pressing cursor down
then cursor up and Apply) the effect doesn't happen again until after i
locked the screen again.

That effect is independent of the chosen screensaver.
I have this effect for about a year now.
The effect is also independent of graphic-card/driver.
@home i have a Nvidia Geforce 7600GT with propertiary driver.
@work i have a ATI x800 with the radeon driver
But computers are dual-headed.

Any ideas what might be my problem?