Re: DCOP problem after Etch with Kde upgrade

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 08:50:46 +0000, john gennard wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

The DCOP server itself is responsible for creating the file that is
mentioned in your error message (as far as I know).

Something fundamental seems to be wrong with your KDE. With Etch being
frozen I would not expect that a dist-upgrade can make a difference, but
I would try it nevertheless. You might simply have an inconsistent
combination of KDE packages right now, with some old packages still
hanging around. (Upgrading at the wrong moment could also cause a
situation like this; in such a case another upgrade at a later time
might be enough to fix everything.)

I can't see any old Kde packages hanging around. A dist-upgrade
has been run (another 30 Mb just covering two days, most accounted for by Kde packages!) - as you expected it has made no significant difference although there is a slight change in the behaviour of the 'frozen' Kde blue screen.

Also, in the Xorg log file there is an error message:-
	"(EE) AIGLX: screen 0 is not DRI capable"
(I missed this earlier).

I am pretty sure that this does not cause the DCOP problem.

Now, I intend to upgrade another box to see what happens and also
to ask on the Kde list in case others have seen this difficulty.

I kind of lost track of this thread; did we already talk about the
permissions of the /tmp directory? They should be like this:

$ ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt 16 root root 8192 2007-02-19 18:49 /tmp

No, we didn't talk of this. However, I did look at the permissions but clearly not carefully enough (old age is no excuse - I must concentrate more!). Now, looking again, I find a difference between what shows up for the box that has the problem and two other installs which do not:-

drwxrwxrwt  6  root  root  4096  2007-02-20 07:55  /tmp  Broken Box
drwxrwxrwt  7  root  root  4096  2007-02-20 08:00  /tmp  Working Box
drwxrwxrwt  7  root  root  4096  2007-02-20 08:11  /tmp  Laptop

Trying to jog my memory, I think that means a hard link is missing.
If that's correct I need to find which is missing and create it.

Regards,

John.