Re: How does Cron send email?

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 08:45:40PM -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:

> And secondly, with this little epiphany comes a realization of
> just how easy it is to spam and where it all comes from...  I
> could easily bombard whomever I wanted with email from my Linux
> box sitting right here without the need for a valid "mail
> account" on a "mail" server or anything of the like.  That's
> right, isn't it?

well, yes and no. Yes, you certainly could do that. The reality though
is that most major ISP's will not accept mail from those sets of IP
addresses flagged as part of another ISP's dhcp pool. For example, my
home server sits in Comcast's (IknowIknow) dhcp pool (dynamically
assigned ip addreses). Granted my IP never changes, but its in that
group and many other ISP's on the net will *not* accept mail from me
directly. i have to route it through one my providers hosts. If I
were to get proper fixed IP with a registered domain name and MX
addresses etc, then yup. i could spam to my hearts content -- and burn
in hell later (if you're into that sort of thing).