How does Cron send email?

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me understand how cron magically sends email. My ultimate goal is to configure cron to send real Internet email so instead of just getting mail on my unix accounts on my linux box (which I read via the 'mail' command) I can get email at my gmail account.

I have a feeling that this would be a very complicated thing to explain to me, so I'd appreciate someone just giving me a shove in the right direction. I am completely at a loss as to how to even begin.

Thanks,
- GM