Re: How does Cron send email?

Joe wrote:

>> And secondly, with this little epiphany comes a realization of just how
>> easy it is to spam and where it all comes from...  I could easily
>> bombard whomever I wanted with email from my Linux box sitting right
>> here without the need for a valid "mail account" on a "mail" server or
>> anything of the like.  That's right, isn't it?
>>
> It will be traceable to your IP address, and after a while you will
> be blacklisted. Spam is invariably sent from somebody else's computer
> after hijacking it, or through a mail server configured as an open
> relay (yes, they still exist).

While there are still a few open relays out there for whatever reason, they
aren't the source of the major concern these days.  Rather, botnets on
Windows hosts tends to be the prolific source these days.

> There's a more complicated set of commands to send email to someone
> through another mail server, if they won't accept email direct. It
> involves having an account on the intermediate server and supplying
> your user name and password.

Or just a relatively local MTA authorizing based on IP ranges (such as one
serving customers of a particular ISP).