Re: How does Cron send email?

On Wednesday 21 February 2007 15:53, Grok Mogger wrote:
> I have read the cron manpage.  I understand what cron mails and
> under what conditions it mails it, what I don't understand is
> HOW it mails it.  I know that cron just sends the output of
> whatever script it runs.  I don't understand how it mails that
> output.  I'd like to understand how it does that so that I can
> make it send email to a gmail account or a similar "real"
> Internet account.
>
> Are you telling me that if I set my MAILTO entry to something
> like 'Joe.Person@gmail.com', that's actually going to send
> legitimate Internet mail to Joe at his gmail account?  I find
> that hard to believe.

Believe it.  Cron will send it whereever you want it to.  setting the MAILTO
to randomuser@gmail.com is not different than forwarding a local user's
account to that same gmail account.  Linux is very amiable to you wishes. :)

What do you mean "legitimate internet mail?"  What would illegitimate internet
mail be?

As far as *how* it does it, I believe it just pipes the output of the commands
run to either the mail command or the sendmail command, but I could be wrong.

Instead of asking us if MAILTO a gmail account will work, and waiting for a
reply, you could just try it, you know. :)

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111