Re: are diffs available for .orig.tar.gz files

On 2/20/07, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 09:25:16PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 2/19/07, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
> >So I'd expect an upstream diff to be availible from the upstream
> >website, if it exists.
>
> I want to avoid this step and am looking for an easier way, since, as
> you mention, the upstream diff file may not exist from upstream.
> Another Question is if Debian orig files are ever modified or if they
> truly are pure upstream. I'm thinking of the kernel issue where
> non-free stuff is removed, for example.
Well from my minute understanding of Debian development and policy, the
orig.tgz is suppose to be pristine unless there is a really good reason.

me don't think that your understanding is minute at all :-)

Like maybe it contains non-free stuff. IIRC DD Miriam Ruiz had a blog
post about 'games' that she was packaging and most of them had non-free
sounds, artwork and datafiles that had to be replaced. You should
consult the debian-mentors list as they'd know. And of course reading
Debian packaging and  policy guides.

me was hoping for quick and easy answer, but will check this out.

I visited the linux.org site. They have diff there. I'd be interested in
the breakdown of the MB and hours used to complete this vs the expected
time to download the binary files.

IIUC, you mean you want to know the benefits of doing diff files, as
compared to doing binary ones? If you got massive bandwidth, binary's
cool, but if you want all 3 DVD's (loads of us don't have internet
connection), you quickly notice the use of compiling from source via
diffs.