Re: are diffs available for .orig.tar.gz files

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 12:11:09PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my great attempts to minimise bandwidth usage, I download Debian
> source packages since they contain only Debian changes (.diff.gz and
> perhaps the .dsc files). But then, are .orig.tar diffs for upstream
> changes available? I'm thinking of monsters like Linux and OOo, that I
> could just apply diffs between upstream (.orig) diffs instead of
> downloading the entire thing when only a 1000 SLOC changed. Would this
> be too complex a set-up if it's not already available...

Hi T,
Debian source packages contain PKG.orig.tz, PKG.diff.gz, PKG.dsc
If I understand you, you suggest:
1) download source package and create this to make a binary package
2) if the package changes, get the next PKG.diff.gz instead of
downloading either the biniary or complete source package and then
create a binary package again
downloading only the diff will be the smallest file which will save
download time.
here is a sample of the urls from the stable and unstable distro:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/source/lilo
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lilo/lilo_22.6.1-6.2.dsc
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lilo/lilo_22.6.1.orig.tar.gz
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lilo/lilo_22.6.1-6.2.diff.gz
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lilo/

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/grub
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/grub/grub_0.97-23.dsc
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/grub/grub_0.97.orig.tar.gz
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/grub/grub_0.97-23.diff.gz
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/grub/

it seems you want the diff.gz ones. I found that only the last version
of a package was on the site as I think they delete earlier ones to save
space. Thus if you want older version, you will need to use the
snapshot.debian.net semi-official backup site.
If you find it works, report back and maybe it can be made into a HOWTO
or even automated with a script.
Cheers,
Kev
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |